Posted February 17, 2022
Real Organic Project is a grassroots, farmer-led non-profit promoting integrity in the certified organic food system. We formed in 2018 to save the organic label from industry greenwashing that threatens organic farming. Real Organic Project created and manages an add-on certification for organic farmers who are committed to the foundational values and practices of organic farming: soil health and animal welfare. We currently certify over 800 farms in the US and Canada. Our annual virtual symposium, weekly podcasts and newsletters inform and organize a rapidly expanding list of thousands of farmers and eaters.
While we have secured a healthy annual operating budget, we’ve done so without a formal development staff or systems. As we transition from a startup phase into a growth phase, we are expanding our small team to achieve our vision of reclaiming the word organic.
Real Organic Project is seeking a highly organized and articulate Development Manager to work closely with the executive team to meet our $1M annual fundraising goal. We are inviting individuals from a wide range of backgrounds for this role, and will offer professional development training and support for the right candidate. The ideal candidate will be foremost passionate about creating change in the food system to support Real Organic farmers and eaters. This is a full-time position with a clear pathway to leadership advancement in the organization. We are a 100% remote organization, candidates who reside anywhere in the U.S. may apply. Occasional travel to fundraising and educational events around the country is required.
The Development Manager:
- Co-develops and implements the annual fundraising calendar
- Works closely with the executive team and board to meet annual fundraising goals
- Stewards a wide range of supporters through campaigns, events, and personal engagement
The Development Manager supports Real Organic Project’s fundraising and donor stewardship efforts in concert with the executive team. This includes implementing an annual fundraising calendar, maintaining current donor relationships, developing a new base of supporters, and planning donor engagement events. We want to work with someone who can translate their passion for the Real Organic Project mission to energize a wide base of farmers and eaters.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Co-develop and implement an annual development calendar, including strategies for individual, institutional, and major donor stewardship.
- Co-create and implement donor engagement campaigns, solicitations and stewardship, drafting or editing email and direct-mail appeals, organizing crowdfunding campaigns, co-drafting and delivering acknowledgments and impact reports, and developing prospects, working with communications manager, mail house and printer as needed.
- Grants management and prospecting.
- Managing Salesforce (CRM) database, including data entry and reporting.
- Donor engagement event planning, such as private dinners and farm tours throughout the country, working in tandem with program staff in each region.
Experience and Skills
- Experience working or volunteering in food/farming nonprofit organization
- Experience successfully managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience with data entry and reporting
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated, collaborative, and highly organized
- Knowledge of organic and regenerative agriculture
- Digital fluency and ability to self-train and troubleshoot applications
- Working knowledge of Facebook, Instagram and other social media platforms
- Comfort working with a wide variety of people with different backgrounds and political views, including high-net worth individuals
- Excited to work with a small team that has big goals in a start-up environment
Full-time position. $52,000 – $58,000, with benefits, commensurate with experience.
How to apply:
Please send a detailed, personalized cover letter and resume as one file to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Development Manager application”.
Interviews will begin on March 8th, but applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled. Please direct any questions to email@example.com
Real Organic Project is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.